Have you ever bought a skirt that’s just a little too long? Instead of paying for expensive alterations, there are several easy no-sew tricks you can try to shorten a skirt on your own.
If you’re short on time, here’s a quick answer to your question: Roll and pin the waistband, use fashion tape, add ribbon ties, or try the bungee cord method. Keep reading to learn the step-by-step instructions for each method.
In this article, we’ll go over four different ways to shorten a skirt without sewing. These handy DIY hacks allow you to customize skirt length and show off more leg without any sewing skills required.
Roll and Pin the Waistband
How to do it
If you want to shorten a skirt without sewing, one of the easiest and quickest methods is to roll and pin the waistband. Here’s how you can do it:
- Start by putting on the skirt and determining the desired length. Stand in front of a mirror to ensure accuracy.
- Once you have decided how much you want to shorten the skirt, fold the waistband inward, towards the inside of the skirt.
- Continue folding the waistband until you reach the desired length. Make sure to smooth out any wrinkles or creases as you go.
- When you have reached the desired length, secure the folded waistband in place by using safety pins. Insert the pins vertically through the folded layers of the waistband to prevent them from slipping.
- Try on the skirt again to ensure that you are happy with the new length. Make any necessary adjustments by repositioning the pins.
Tips and tricks
Here are some additional tips and tricks to make the process of rolling and pinning the waistband easier:
- Use small, sturdy safety pins to ensure they hold the waistband securely in place.
- If you have a thicker waistband, you can use more than one safety pin to provide additional support.
- For a more secure hold, you can also use double-sided fabric tape instead of safety pins. Just make sure to choose a tape that is suitable for your fabric type.
- If you’re concerned about the pins being visible, you can try using decorative pins or covering them with a belt or sash.
Remember, this method is temporary and may not be as secure as sewing. If you plan on wearing the skirt frequently or for a long period of time, it’s recommended to consider a more permanent alteration method.
For more detailed instructions and visuals, you can visit wikihow.com. They provide step-by-step guidance on various methods to shorten a skirt without sewing.
Use Fashion Tape
When it comes to shortening a skirt without sewing, fashion tape is your best friend. Fashion tape is a double-sided adhesive tape that is specifically designed to hold clothing in place without leaving any residue.
It is a quick and easy solution for altering the length of a skirt without the need for sewing.
Select the right tape
Before you begin, it is important to choose the right type of fashion tape for your skirt. There are various options available, including clear tape, fabric tape, and medical-grade tape. Clear tape is ideal for lightweight fabrics, while fabric tape works best on thicker materials.
Medical-grade tape is a stronger option that provides extra hold. Consider the fabric of your skirt and the length you want to achieve when selecting the tape.
Once you have chosen the appropriate fashion tape, it’s time to apply it to your skirt. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Clean and dry the area where you will be applying the tape. This will ensure that the tape adheres properly.
- Measure the desired length of your skirt and mark it with a pin or a piece of chalk.
- Cut a piece of fashion tape slightly shorter than the length you marked.
- Peel off the backing of the tape to expose the adhesive side.
- Place the tape along the hemline of your skirt, aligning it with the markings you made.
- Press down firmly to ensure the tape sticks securely to the fabric.
- Repeat the process on the other side of the skirt, if necessary.
It’s important to note that fashion tape is a temporary solution and may not provide the same level of durability as sewing. Therefore, it is recommended to use fashion tape for short-term alterations or as a quick fix when you don’t have access to a sewing machine.
If you need a permanent alteration or if the skirt will undergo frequent washing or heavy use, it is best to consider sewing as a more reliable option.
For more information on fashion tape and other fashion hacks, you can visit Fashion Magazine’s website. They offer a wide range of tips and tricks to help you make the most of your wardrobe without the need for sewing.
Add Ribbon Ties
If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to shorten a skirt without sewing, adding ribbon ties is a great option. Not only does it give your skirt a stylish and unique touch, but it also allows for adjustable length. Here’s how you can do it:
Cut ribbon to size
The first step is to determine the length you want your skirt to be and cut two pieces of ribbon accordingly. Make sure to choose a ribbon that is sturdy enough to hold the weight of the skirt. Satin or grosgrain ribbon works well for this purpose.
Measure the desired length from the waistband down to where you want the skirt to end and add a few inches for the ribbon to be tied into a bow.
Sew ribbon ties
Next, position the ribbon pieces on the inside of the waistband, one on each side. Use a few hand stitches or fabric glue to secure the ribbons in place. Make sure to leave enough ribbon length to tie a bow comfortably.
If you prefer a cleaner look, you can fold the ends of the ribbons and sew them together before attaching them to the waistband. This will prevent the ribbons from fraying.
Now, simply put on your skirt and tie the ribbon bows at your desired length. You can adjust the bows tighter or looser depending on the occasion or your preference. The best part is that you can easily remove the ribbon ties and revert your skirt back to its original length if needed.
Adding ribbon ties to shorten a skirt without sewing is a fun and creative way to give your outfit a personalized touch. Plus, it’s a versatile solution that allows you to adjust the length to suit your needs. So why not give it a try and transform your skirt into something truly unique?
Try the Bungee Cord Method
Cut bungee cord
The bungee cord method is a simple and effective way to shorten a skirt without sewing. To get started, you will need a bungee cord that is long enough to wrap around your waist comfortably. Measure the length of the skirt and cut the bungee cord to match that measurement.
Thread cord through waistband
Once you have the bungee cord cut to the right length, it’s time to thread it through the waistband of the skirt. Start by finding a small opening in the waistband, such as a buttonhole or a gap between stitches.
Insert one end of the bungee cord through the opening and continue to thread it through the entire waistband, making sure it is evenly distributed.
Pro Tip: If you can’t find a small opening in the waistband, you can use a safety pin to attach the bungee cord to the fabric. Simply pin one end of the bungee cord to the inside of the waistband and thread it through the fabric as you normally would.
Once the bungee cord is threaded through the waistband, you can adjust the length of the skirt by pulling on both ends of the cord. This method allows you to easily make adjustments to the length of your skirt without the need for any sewing or alterations.
It is a great option for those who want to experiment with different skirt lengths or for those who are looking for a temporary solution.
Important: Keep in mind that the bungee cord method is not a permanent solution for shortening a skirt. If you want a more secure and long-lasting alteration, it is recommended to consult a professional tailor or seamstress.
With a bit of creativity and some simple materials on hand, you can easily shorten a too-long skirt in no time. Whether you prefer a temporary quick-fix or a more permanent alteration, these four no-sew hacks have got you covered.
Show off those legs without breaking the bank on professional tailoring.